Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Letter received on October 17th...

This letter was sent to Nick, but we thought we'd post it because of the great advice for missionaries entering the MTC:

Nick,

Brotha! How are ya punk? K so (cheese), I've been thinking all week long about different ways my brothers could prepare for their misisons. And since you are first, I have addressed this to you. These are some things to do before and when you leave and will help at least during your time at the MTC.

#1. Pack duck tape...Bro. Filichia is a genius for giving it to me. If you don't use it, someone will. Half my roll is gone. Haven't used the bungees yet.

#2. Bring many changes of P-day / gym clothes. At least 6! Trust me, you don't want to use the same gym clothes twice in a row, and you don't want to wear your gym clothes for P-day - YUCK!

#3. Learn the language first. 2 years of spanish helped me. I understand almost everything and its easy to learn. Ya, you don't know what language you will be speaking. Take a guess and learn it. If it's not the right language, you will be tri-lingual.

#4. Don't drink the chocolate milk and don't eat the seafood salad in the cafeteria. Trust me, just stay away...

#5. Bring 8 alarm clocks. It's just fun to wake up to 8 different sounding alarms at the same time.

#6. Bring a warm blanket. These ones suck!

#7. Get used to cold showers. Enough said.

#8. Know how to beat-box. Everyone loves it and it puts on a good show before bed.

#9. Work on your BUM muscles. Blunt, I know, but when you are sitting and studying 12 hours a day...OUCH!

#10. Bring lot so pictures of family and friends. Makes me smile.

#11. Forget fear. When you need to do something, have faith to just jump in and do it. Be the leader.

#12. KNOW Preach My Gospel! It will help. I dind't know it and I wish I did. The same goes along for the scripture references in it.

#13. Know how to write in your journal. Yeah, its boring, but ya want it.

#14. Learn how to get along with everyone. Should be easy for you.

#15. Have people use http://www.dearelder.com/. I like letters everyday. (big smiley face)

#16. Bring a cup.

#17. Pack some air deoderizer. Febreeze, AXE, anything that can get the smell of a roomates' stinky feet out of the air. If only I had one for Elder Barnes...

#18. Know your friends addresses before you leave.

#19. Don't ever forget your lunch card. You use it for everything.

And finally...

#20. Don't PANIC. (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Thank You!) Overloaded with information is normal. Just take a deep breath, count to 3, and imagine a bottle of cream soda...

I will probably have more effective ones before the 2 years are up. Be buff, keep the green, and (in the famous words of Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley) "Don't be stupid!"

Drink a cream soda for me.

Much love a stuff,

Elder Johnson

PS - The church is true!

1 comments:

Pen-nut said...

Bert and Mignon, I am trying to find you to get Bert's parents address and to up-date you on my family. It looks like your family has all grown up. Send a e-mail please. copmtn@cableone.net
Will be looking forward to hear from you.
LaMont